On Sun, Dec 4, 2011 at 10:26 PM, Kris Tilford <ktilfo...@cox.net> wrote:

> Fortunately, there's a solution. This seems crazy, but they're saying that
> the current version and all previous versions that were "Intel only"
> actually work fine on PPC Macs, the problem is that Adobe's installer won't
> allow the installation. You need to manually move the current version of
> "Flash Player.plugin" into Library>Internet Plug-Ins and then repair the
> permissions. You can trash the old version of the file, or compress it and
> save it as an "old" version.
>
> Once you manually install this and quit and relaunch your browser you'll
> have the latest Flash Player and no websites including Facebook will give
> you an error message about needing to update Flash Player. It works fine.
>
> The problem is you'd need an Intel Mac to get the current version from, or
> you can download it ready to install manually from here:
> <http://www.steelbin.com/**FPforFBPPC.zip<http://www.steelbin.com/FPforFBPPC.zip>

If you read the ReadMe file which comes with the referenced Zip, then you
get a slightly different version of what is going on.

According to the file, the Zip actually contains a copy of the last
PPC-compatible version which has then been hacked to report a later version
number as required for the Facebook test.

I think the assumption here is that while sites may look for a later
version, they really only use features from the older version.

John