----------  Original message  ----------
Subject: Bad Video Card?
Date:    Friday, 27. January 2012
From:    Michael McMurtrey <skyking...@verizon.net>
To:      g3-5-list@googlegroups.com
> i recently purchased a Radeon 9800 Pro video card from an ebay
> seller. It was advertised as 256 Mb VRAM, and there is indeed a
> sticker on the card which identifies it as such. However, after
> installation, System Profiler reports it as 128 Mb VRAM, not 256, and
> there is a distinct hot, ozone smell coming from the computer. Upon
> reinstallation of the original video card, the smell has disappeared.
>
> What's the consensus? Is this card defective?

I don’t think so.
Please read this:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1469304?start=0&tstart=0

Please download the ATI drivers/utilities and use ATI Displays, which should
tell you the real VRAM size.

I used a Radeon X1900 Mac Edition which had the same issue.

> System specs:
>
> Machine Name: Power Mac G4
>    Machine Model:     PowerMac3,6
>    CPU Type:  PowerPC G4  (3.3)
>    Number Of CPUs:    2
>    CPU Speed: 1.25 GHz
>    L2 Cache (per CPU):        256 KB
>    L3 Cache (per CPU):        2 MB
>    Memory:    1.5 GB
>    Bus Speed: 167 MHz
>    Boot ROM Version:  4.4.8f2

Nice specs! Is it the original MDD or the FW800?

Cheers,
Andreas  aka  Mac User #330250