On 02/02/2012 16:30, "Bruce Johnson" <john...@pharmacy.arizona.edu> wrote:

> The flashing process does not involve soldering at all, but is accomplished by
> software on a PC...
> --

    Err....That's not quite true Bruce....flashing from PC to mac bios has
always involved soldering since the introduction of rom locks on the Radeon
cards. The hardware lock is achieved with tiny resistors and effectively
blocks any flash larger than 64KB - PC size - whereas the mac rom is 128KB.
In addition to the lock the SO8 8 pin soic bios chip itself - such as the ST
brand M25P05 may only take 64KB of data max so to achieve a full mac rom
flash it must be exchanged for a 128KB soic chip - the M25P10.
Soic chip info
<http://themacelite.wikidot.com/rom-s>
Resistor lock info
<http://thomas.perrier.name/otherStuff/ati9800convertEN.html>

    However - I doubt the card would get hot enough around the SO8 to
smoulder any remaining flux.

Pete - 62 years old today - I might scoff a beer or two later......I wonder
how long I've been on the low end mac mail lists - is there a way to find
out?