On 27/06/2012 11:24, "William Tomcanin" <wt8091...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Recently I've noticed he fan on my Quicksilver G4 has been making much more
> noise than usual.
>
> I periodically clean the dust out of the interior and the ventilation ports,
> but the noise persists..
>
> Can anyone recommend a course of action?  lubrication?  replacement?
>
> Thanks,
> Bill

    I had problems with fan noise and overheating with my MDD dual 1.25 -
resulted in me stripping it bare and performing certain 'modifications' -
some of them to the fan and airflow. The fan had metal spider web grilles
either side - I ditched the one which was screwed on and dremelled the other
away to  improve airflow - I also ditched the metal pci blanks. As for the
fan I scrubbed it all mercilessly with a toothbrush and washing up liquid -
taking care to avoid the electrical bits in the hub - and then gave the
inner housing and blades several coats of heavy furniture wax polished to
the best shine I could get - seemed like a good idea at the time though I
would have preferred to treat it with the silicon spray I used to use in my
printing days to reduce friction whilst sliding large reams of paper around
on benches and loading tables.
    The 'modifications' reduced the noise and improved the airflow - but if
the noise is wear and tear to the fan bearings only a new or replacement
120cm fan will cure that.....

Pete