>From half-gone memories, I recall:
PPDs are not drivers. They are more like parameter files, informing the
Laserwriter driver and the application what the printer can do and what it
can't: resolution, colours, duplex, etc. As far as I know they have a fixed
syntax, but there are special versions that include extra parameters to
serve the possibilities of a particular program, e.g. PageMaker. Often
desktop publishing programs came with a collection of PPDs.

I think the main problems you can get when you use a different printer's
PPD are wrong colours or screens.
If you like, let me know to which extent this fits with your experience.