On Dec 5, 2012, at 12:54 PM, Geke <gevangaste...@gmail.com> wrote:

> From half-gone memories, I recall:
> PPDs are not drivers. They are more like parameter files, informing the
> Laserwriter driver and the application what the printer can do and what it
> can't: resolution, colours, duplex, etc. As far as I know they have a fixed
> syntax, but there are special versions that include extra parameters to serve
> the possibilities of a particular program, e.g. PageMaker. Often desktop
> publishing programs came with a collection of PPDs.

PPD's are 'Postscript Printer Description' files.

Postscript is the printer driver; the PPD tells the driver what the printer can
do. The Desktop Printers introduced in LaserWriter 8 built printer drivers this
way; this is also how OS X does it, which is why, sometiomes, you can extract
PPD's out of OS X printer drivers and use them in LW8.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona