On Dec 30, 2012, at 9:33 PM, John Carmonne wrote:

On Dec 30, 2012, at 6:25 PM, Jim Scott wrote:

You didn't say, but I'm guessing it's a 17" iMac. That particular form factor is notorious for LCD failure, which begins with one row of stuck pixels and progresses to the point where there are so many rows they can't be counted,

Here's an alternative to throwing out a good Mac, HiRez screens too.

http://www.realmacmods.com/uni4.html

For $160 this seems a fine answer... fun project and I don;t throw the useful thing out ... except the old dead screen... (maybe I'll mail it back to Apple...!)