On Apr 28, 2013, at 11:37 AM, Michael McMurtrey wrote:

> I came home from a trip, turned on my computer, and found that I am now
> blocked from certain favorite web sites. I am taken to a page at
> "www.blocked-website.com" which tells me, for example, "Sorry, but (site) is
> blocked on this network. This site was categorized in (category). Contact
> your network administrator." Underneath this message it says "Powered by
> OpenDNS."
>
> OpenDNS appears to be legitimate, offering parental controls, but there are
> no children in this household, and I do not use their services. There are
> only two computers in the house, my Mac and my wife's PC, both connected to
> the Internet via a router. Neither have parental controls activated.

Is this affecting both computers? Then it's almost certain that the router is
what's affected. There's a ton of home routers out there that are susceptible
to a plug-n-play vulnerability that will allow spammers to hijack them.

<https://community.rapid7.com/community/infosec/blog/2013/01/29/security-flaws-in-universal-plug-and-play-unplug-dont-play>

Here's Cisco's advice:
<http://www.ciscopress.com/articles/article.asp?p=461084>Turning off UPnP is
the first thing.

I'm at a loss as to how this would lead you to OpenDNS blocking the site (as it
should, if you're using OpenDNS as your DNS provider), though, as the whole
point of DNS hijacking is to lead you away from valid DNS services like OpenDNS.

But then, no one ever said these folks were competent...

--
Bruce Johnson

"Wherever you go, there you are" B. Banzai,  PhD

---
"G-Group" group.
to g3-5-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.