FWIW: This sounds like a useful idea to me.

My users are struggling with output names currently being generated by
complex workflows where many tools do something like
label="${tool.name} on ${on_string}: reordered ${outputFormat}" - that
might be ok for a single step but after traveling through a few of
those, the base name (which we routinely use for metadata needed at
some final amalgamation step, such as experimental condition) is hard
to find in all the cruft.