Clare-

Have you resolved this yet? I had seen similar issues with respect
to pycrypto before I used virtualenv, but I don't believe that I saw
it afterwards. I'll take a look and see if I can reproduce it.

I only have obvious things to recommend right now. For example,
make sure that the environment has been loaded each time.
Check
http://wiki.g2.bx.psu.edu/Admin/Config/Performance/Production%20Server#Use_a_clean_environment
 ,
which I'm sure you've already done.