My comments inline...

On Oct 10, 2012, at 4:39 PM, John Chilton wrote:

> Comments inline.
>
> On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 2:35 PM, Mark Johnson <mjohn...@ncbi.nlm.nih.gov>
> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for the quick turnaround. On the contrary, your examples are very
>> helpful. I'll try your approach. I haven't upgraded Galaxy in about 6
>> months, but was hoping that change had already been made. (I haven't worked
>> on Galaxy in the interim.) Then do I understand right that the wiki is not
>> up to date with respect to creating new datatypes?
>
> I cannot find anything on the wiki about adding new binary datatypes,
> does the wiki reference modifying upload.py anywhere?
>
>> And does this change mean
>> that new datatypes are something users will be able to distribute through
>> the toolshed?
>
> Hopefully! I haven't tested distributing datatypes at all via the
> toolshed let alone binary ones, but my guess is that it will work now.
> Perhaps Greg has a comment on this issue. It seems like it wouldn't
> work if you had multiple versions of the same datatype installed, but
> I don't know how Galaxy handles that even in for normal types.

Yes, proprietary datatypes can be shared via the tool shed.  This section of
the tool shed wiki describes how to include your proprietary datatypes in a
repository in the tool shed.

http://wiki.g2.bx.psu.edu/ToolShedDatatypesFeatures

And this wiki page describes the process for installing datatypes included in a
tool shed repository into a local Galaxy instance.

http://wiki.g2.bx.psu.edu/InstallingRepositoriesToGalaxy

>> I have a bit of confusion (being a novice Galaxian) about how conversion
>> tools work. The NCBI SRA format has a collection of binary runtime programs
>> (SRA toolkit) for performing various operations on .csra files. So my new
>> Galaxy tools that rely on those programs will have somehow to access them.
>> Is there a formalized way to package Galaxy tools with binaries, so both the
>> Galaxy XML+Python and the binaries are distributed together? Or do you have
>> some way of telling the Galaxy admin what needs to be installed, and where,
>> for Galaxy tools to work?
>
> Greg has been hard at work over the last several months implementing
> the ability to package scripts for installing dependencies along with
> your tool repository.

John's reference to the wiki below is the best place to get this information.