On Feb 2, 2013, at 1:02 AM, Prasun Dutta wrote:

> Hi Nate,
>
> Thanks for the reply. I have already installed VM and downloading Ubuntu now.
> I had some other queries:

Hi Prasun,

It's best to keep replies on the list, to ensure access to a wide audience of
people who may be able to provide better answers than the original respondent.

> Can I add my own tools in the main public galaxy? For example, I have some
> perl scripts that I have to connect together in a workflow. I know, its
> better to have a local instance for these kind of personal jobs, but still, I
> would be grateful if you could throw some light on it. And do we have to
> create our own xml code of the perl program I have written or galaxy can
> convert it on its own?

It's not possible to install your own tools on Galaxy servers that you don't
administrate due to the implications on security and resource usage.

You do need to write your own XML, although for simple tools it is not very
difficult and there are a plethora of tutorials and examples available.  An
automated alternative would be to use the Galaxy Tool Factory:

    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23024011

--nate