On Feb 19, 2013, at 11:23 AM, Peter Cock wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've got an hg puzzle, can anyone on the Galaxy team explain the
> cause of this and what action I can take to avoid it?
>
> Starting with a clean checkout,
>
> $ hg clone https://bitbucket.org/galaxy/galaxy-central
> warning: bitbucket.org certificate with fingerprint
> 24:9c:45:8b:9c:aa:ba:55:4e:01:6d:58:ff:e4:28:7d:2a:14:ae:3b not
> verified (check hostfingerprints or web.cacerts config setting)
> destination directory: galaxy-central
> requesting all changes
> adding changesets
> adding manifests
> adding file changes
> added 8886 changesets with 33822 changes to 6914 files (+1 heads)
> updating to branch default
> 4019 files updated, 0 files merged, 0 files removed, 0 files unresolved
>
> $ cd galaxy-central
>
> $ hg branch
> default
>
> $ hg branches
> default                     8885:9852dd712f5c
> stable                      8880:8da37d3985ab
>
> $ hg checkout stable
> abort: path 'static/june_2007_style/Makefile' traverses symbolic link
> 'static/june_2007_style'
>
> I was actually trying to checkout one of my own branches, having
> setup the .hg/hgrc to include a link to my own fork on bitbucket.

Hi Peter,

This is due to the annoying way in which Mercurial handles symlinks.  We're
going to graft the changesets that caused this up to stable shortly, but in the
meantime, you can do:

% rm static/june_2007_style
% hg update stable --clean

This would remove any uncommitted local changes, if you had any, so it's not
safe for all scenarios.  But it's fine here since you're working on a fresh
clone with no changes.

--nate