Hey Peter,

  Hopefully Nate will have some wisdom, all I have is a workaround (I
have fought with this on multiple forks and this is the best I have
come up with).

Check out a clean version of the tools branch somehow (it seems like
the working contents can get stuck in an invalid state that update and
checkout cannot recover from). Once you are back to a good state, it
works when you merge in two steps.

hg checkout tools
hg merge -r ee389d2
hg ci -m "Partial merge."  # Not sure if this step is needed.
hg merge default

-John