This sounds a lot like this;
http://dev.list.galaxyproject.org/galaxy-cant-find-binaries-in-tp4662442p4662444.html.

When using the local job runner (as the test framework likely does), I
believe samtools needs to be on Galaxy's path. I don't think it is
enough to just have it available as a "tool dependency" (installed via
tool shed or not).

As workarounds Dave could either install the samtools OS package or
place the tool shed install of this on Galaxy's path before starting?
.Alternatively, I guess the underlying problem could be solved -
though it is not entirely clear the best path forward on that, only
that is a real problem.

-John