You don't need a tool to upload - you need 'upload1' (i.e.
tools/data_source/upload.xml) and it cannot come from the tool shed -
this will make its id something other than upload1. You can make some
modifications to it, relocate it, etc... but that needs to be there in
some form.

In universe_wsgi.ini, your tool_config_file option can include
tool_conf.xml in addition to shed_tool_conf.xml and upload1 can be the
only thing in it (tool_conf.xml). For instance:

tool_config_file = tool_conf.xml,shed_tool_conf.xml

You may even be able to place  <tool file="data_source/upload.xml" />
in shed_tool_conf.xml directly - I don't know.

But the upload tool definitely can not be installed via the tool shed.

Hopefully this helps.

-John