On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 11:43 PM, Lukasse, Pieter <pieter.luka...@wur.nl> wrote:
> So I need to refresh on change....I see that if I have a conditional item in
> my form, this causes a refresh of the page and a (re)evaluation of my
> dynamic_options methods....so I could misuse this “feature”.

This is deliberate, although there has been talk of updating the
conditional code to do the dependent parameters dynamically
rather than server-side with a page refresh.

From your outline description, I think you should be using the
Galaxy <conditional> tag.

> However, it seems that when I have a <conditional> I must have
> a <when> entry for every item in my select box. There is no
> “when else” option?

I think you are right - I've asked in the past about this, e.g.
this discussion which appears not to have been fully on
the mailing list though:

http://dev.list.galaxyproject.org/Multiple-values-in-lt-when-gt-tags-for-lt-conditiona-gt-parameters-tc4659704.html#none

This probably deserves to be tracked with a Trello Card...