Galaxy's handling of dynamic options has some restrictions for sure
outlined here and it is true that conditional test parameters cannot
be set at runtime in workflow execution (the workflow form doesn't
have the ability to restructure itself based on the conditional the
way the tool form does).

Aysam has started work on the tool form rewrite and hopefully this
will provide some opportunities for a greater amount of dynamism - but
those dynamic_options present some problems for moving stuff to the
client side - since they require a Python 'eval'. At any rate there is
a lot of work to do - especially if the desired end game is to get
such parameters to work with workflow execution.

Sometimes one can get the same effect as the page construct by
splitting the tool into two - one that generates a config file or
something and one that actually performs the computation. This is an
unsatisfying solution in many ways though.

Anyway - I don't have any great ideas on this issue - I have created a
Trello card for Peter's conditional ideas
https://trello.com/c/Ud7uut7R (and to collect some other open ones).

-John