Peter has already voted and if I recall correctly Ryan cannot access
Trello - so this might be a waste to bring up - but here is a Trello
card for voting on this issue and tracking progress
https://trello.com/c/3RkTDnIn.

To summarize previous discussion - this would be fantastic to have and
Galaxy needs this - but we solve this on usegalaxy.org by using a
compressed file system - a more elegant solution when it is a
possibility - so it has never been a tier one priority for the
devteam. The only update on this is that I don't think we are using a
compressed file system anymore so this might become and issue again
someday soon.

This would be non-trivial to implement - but I have always felt this
would be a fairly fun project to work on if anyone really tight on
space locally wants to try to tackle it :).

-John