Hi Eric

Well, there is no official statement besides the one you have quoted below, but anyone in the Galaxy team I have spoken to recently told me to move to PostgreSQL.

And that's why, I've been through the painful process of migrating our MySQL database to a PostgreSQl database. Actually, the switch for our production server just happened this morning - and I am still anxious whether I have done everything correctly.

Our system admin also prefers MySQl. Hence I had to set up my own PostgreSQL server. And now, I am running the back-ups myself.

For your case: why not moving the Galaxy server to the "new more powerful environment" but still connected to the old PostgreSQL server? I don't think the database server (unless it is sqlite) is ever the bottleneck, is-it?

Regards, Hans-Rudolf