I ran into problems with the MySQL installation.  It seems that the galaxy team
and most people are testing the PSQL implementation.  I've ran into a couple of
issues with regards to the ORM creating columns in mysql that are not
equivalent in size to PSQL.  For example, the metadata column in the repository
table does not support all the metadata that the MOTHUR repository generates
when it is installed.  This only occurred on MySQL and the fix was as simple as
dropping the new record that was truncated, re-typing the column to support
more metadata, and re-installing the repository.

Also, MySQL prior to v5.5 had a default engine of MyISAM, and the ORM did not
create tables and force InnoDB.  MyISAM doesn't enforce table relations.  This
was a problem for us.

PSQL is more scalable than mysql out of the box for relational queries (no
modifications required).  It's a bit of pain to manage at times compared to
MySQL's simple commands, but you rarely have to touch it.  Backups are
essentially identically between the two RDBMSes.

Iyad Kandalaft

Acting Chief Bioinformatician in Biodiversity, STB
Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada / Government of Canada
iyad.kandal...@agr.gc.ca / Tel: 613-759-1228 / TTY: 613-773-2600

Bioinformaticien chef de la  biodiversite interim, Direction générale des
Science et de la technologie
Agriculture et Agroalimentaire Canada / Gouvernement du Canada
iyad.kandal...@agr.gc.ca / Tel: 613-759-1228 / TTY: 613-773-2600