Thanks Hans-Rudolf,

Yes - you are right. The wiki does link there but it wasn't obvious to me.
Reading the UserAPIController link source code suggests as long as
I am authenticated as a Galaxy Admin, I could use this to create new
user accounts:

https://docs.galaxyproject.org/en/master/_modules/galaxy/webapps/galaxy/api/users.html#UserAPIController.create

Thank looks very promising...

Peter