Hello Peter

Following on from Nicola's suggestion: a while ago I had a go at writing some command line tools using Bioblend to try and do some of my Galaxy admin tasks via the API, including creating new user accounts so I'd also recommend this route as much much easier than attempting to interact with the API directly.

The tools I wrote are here if you'd like to look at some an example of using Bioblend for this, to get you started:

https://github.com/pjbriggs/nebulizer/blob/master/nebulizer/users.py

As long as the user that the API key belongs to is an admin user (or if you're using a master API key) this works fine.

HTH

Best wishes

Peter