 From: Jennifer Jackson <j...@bx.psu.edu>
To: Richard Mark White <whit...@yahoo.com>; "galaxy-u...@bx.psu.edu"
<galaxy-u...@bx.psu.edu>
Cc: closetic...@galaxyproject.org
Sent: Wednesday, November 30, 2011 1:09 PM
Subject: disk quota not updating

Hi Richard,

Yes, it takes a short time for the UI counts to update. If you deleted
permanently, then the result should be what you expected. Should the quota
count remain high by tomorrow, that would point to an issue with lingering data
counting in the quota.

Places to search for unexplained disk use:

1 - Older pre-quota "deleted" datasets that were not permanently deleted. You
can check for these in the View Histories -> advanced -> deleted set. The far
right column "Status" will note deleted vs permanently deleted.

2 - Shared histories can count towards a quota. So, if not needed or only
portions are, copy out of these what you want to use and ask the user that
shared the data to "unshared" you, so you don't get stuck with the entire
history in your quota. Shared histories/data and quotas are somewhat tricky to
tune, and better solutions may be developed as the details are worked out, but
this is the current implementation. A good feature to know about is that an
imported dataset from a public Data Library never counts towards your quota (if
left unmodified).

You have probably seen this, but for others who may be reading the thread, this
wiki has many details and tips for managing data:
http://galaxyproject.org/wiki/Learn/Managing%20Datasets

One last comment - it would be very helpful for us if questions were sent with
the mailing list as a "to" recipient, so that our ticket tracker picks it up.

Hopefully this helps! And please feel free to ask if you need more help or the
disk size is not what you expect after the counts refresh.

On 11/30/11 9:49 AM, Richard Mark White wrote:
> Hi,
> I was nearing my disk quota (at 97%), so I deleted a large number of
> datasets using "delete permanently". But my usage did not go down at
> all. Is there a delay in this happening, or is there some way to purge
> the files?
>
> richard

-- Jennifer Jackson
http://usegalaxy.org