Hi, Ari.
Honestly licenses usually prevent any modification and or use of other
peoples code. You have the two extremes in source code licenses. On one
hand like with say Corperation X you aren't allowed at all to have it,
and licensing it would be prehibatively expensive weather it was written
10 years ago they would charge like big bucks. Then you have the open
source movement which all the source code is free, but under their
licenses you can not use the source for financial proffet.

In the end it is better to build your own games, tools, engines, etc and
you can do whatever you want with it.