Hi Ron,
Assuming you have the proper training materials you should be able to
pick up either C#, (C-Sharp,) or VB.NET rather quickly using the Express
compilers from Microsoft.
I highly recommend the beginner books like Learning VB.NET, Learning
C#.NET, and the In a Nutshell series from O'reilly because they start
you out from a absolutely newby and talk you through very simple basic
programs, explaining everything, and work your way up to more complex
things.
Your first program might be a simple text program that displays Hello
World or your name, and by chapter 13 or so you will be designing
Windows forms and Windows based applications. In the chapters from 1 to
13 they don't consentrate on complex things but discuss each concept
such what is a variable, what is a class, what is an object, how to use
loops, if statements, perform math operations, and so on.
The time it takes depends on how fast you grasp each chapter and
concept, and how fast you go through the training materials. I'd say on
average 6 months to a year before you can really right your first game
like a space invaders shoot-m-up or so.
For this effort I really should write a free, open source, shoot-m-up
game in C#.NET or VB.NET and post it on USA Games where people could
have something to look at.