Hi Nolan,

Snip
there may be 30 or more targets in the playing field. As such, the
asteroid whooshes tended to blend together into one long string of
white noise.
End Snip

Nolan, I've found when dealing with noises that are the same or similar
spinning asteroids, walking soldiers, boiling lava pits, the way to keep
them from blending is when you load your level start the sounds one at a
time with a half-a-second or so inbetween the launches.
In C# I will just put the loading Thread to sleep for 500 MS, it will
start a sound, stop for 500 MS, load another sound, and so on.
What happens as a result even though the sounds are the same the
difference in where they are in the play back can make a big difference
in telling to identical objects apart.