The official rules concerning houses and hotels is that, after they are all bought, you cannot buy one. A Monopoly set comes with 32 houses and 12 hotels. After all of the houses have been bought, the only way to improve your properties is to buy hotels, but you have to have 4 houses on each property of a monopoly to be able to do so. Strategy comes into play. To prevent you from buying hotels, a player might be able to afford hotels for a monopoly, but they would sell their 4 houses back to the bank in order to do so. Then, you would be able to buy those houses. So, all they have to do is to keep 4 houses on their properties, not buying hotels. You are stuck, not able to improve.

To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Wednesday, December 04, 2013 10:54 AM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Some practical questions reguarding the Monopoly game

Hi Jim.

I'd always sort of assumed that at least the idea! was to have hotels for every property on the board, even if there weren't quite enough to do that (especially with older sets where some of the hotels and houses got lost), though in practice I don't think I've ever actually played a game of monopoly where more than about 7 or 8 streets had them.

Beware the Grue!