Hi Jim,

Its not an official rule. It is just that a standard Monopoly set only
comes with  a limited number of houses and hotels, and it is possible
to run out of them during game play. This of course adds an element of
strategy because you need to think more about where you place houses
and hotels as there is only so many to buy. However, given a choice I
much prefer being able to get as many as I need as in your Monopoly
game.