Regarding the development cost of Windows apps: as a Mac user I feel that
Visual Studio Express is, while certainly useful for .net development, somewhat
annoyingly crippled for Win32 development.  It doesn't have MFC or resource
editors, for example.  You can somewhat work around this, though not without
breaking the workflow pretty badly and possibly getting into legal trouble if
ever you go commercial.  And the garden path solution is naturally very
expensive, direct from Microsoft.  So as a Mac user, I think the development
costs are pretty well reined in, once you've got the box.

Just wanted to chuck that in.

Cheers,
Sabahattin