Well one thing I have found with fsl the open al library that the group I am in uses, is its powerfull more so than standard direct sound, however there are instances where doors beakons and other effects like lifts echo to much. If you save some sounds in mono instead of stereo or it may be the other way round the lib will not use them.
It takes a bit to get used to but its powerfull.
Someone on the test team had issues with things so it can be a little annoying.