I agree tom.
In the early days I had a lot of stuff I did not buy.
Most of that has been replaced with free or low cost stuff.
I hardly buy anything, games etc I may buy once a year if that because of the price.
One of my pet peevs are that prices for some things have been a bit high.
The apple system solves that.
The big issue is getting in.
To get in at least in new zealand, its 4-6000 for a mac at least in one of the computer places I checked out, granted its fully loaded but who has that much unless you do.
its at least 1000 or more for an iphone or something.
Now if you can afford the initial headake every so often to keep your devices supported, software including the os really is quite small.
1-10 dollars in general for apps some are more.
30 or so dollars for a mac system os upgrade on a computer and nothing for the phones. On the other end of the scale, pcs can be got for as little as 400 straight up, ofcause its about 700-1000 for a good or reasonable laptop, and true you don't get all the power of a mac, but still its cheaper.
Prices for pc apps can get up there though.