Hi Tom.

Actually I shouldn't really have used the term "anime" in this context. My brother is a fan of "anime" however the stuff he watches (and the stuff I pinch off him), can range in genre very much, for example over christmas we watched two series, Shiki, which is a very character based drama that turns slowly into an extremely shocking and tragic horror concerning vampires in a small village, and Spice n wolf, a fantasy tale about a girl who can turn into a wolf and her travels with a merchant in a sort of medeival land where there are some elements of magic and spirits, ---- although the series was mostly about the merchant's various dealings.

I once asked my brother why exactly he watched so much anime specifically over what was available in the west and he simply stated (quite accurately), that a lot of what hollywood, and to an extent the bbc are doing now is very generic, predictable and built along similar lines, where as in Japan things are being much more creative in terms of telling interesting stories.This is particularly true sinse in a lot of Anime you are not simply seeing the events that occur as you might in a western film or a western animated program, you are seeing the character's perspective on those events.

For example Wlecome to the Nhk is a very simple story about a young man with agoraphobia who gets progressively tied up with various other bad ways of coping with his life before he sorts himself out, addiction to online games, geting wrapped up with pyramid schemes etc, yet a good half of the program is what is going on in his brain, rather than in the real world around him.

This is also why i really shouldn't have used the term "anime" sinse it rather perpetuates the sterriotype that all anime is like dragon ball, bleach, inuhasha etc, ie, samurai, swords, magic, robotss, demons and nasty things with tentacles, with big battles and explosions, which it certainly is not. This is more properly "shonan",, or anime aimed at young boys, though unfortunately as I said it's become something of a sterriotype.

Btw, the pawnographic anime is known as Hentai and generally people use that term when refering to it, rather than classing it with anime generaly.

With blind swordsman, it was the plot that reminded me very much of Afro Samurai, and to a lesser extent samurai seven or fist of the north star, sinse you play a swordsman trying to find a warlock to restore his vision who must fight his way past various people on the path to the warlock's tower, while Afro Samurai is about a Samurai (voiced and indeed rather modeled on MAce Windu himself, Samual L jackson), whoo is climbing a mountain path to try and confront the person who killed his father when he was young who is a great master whom many other warriors want to challenge, which of course the Samurai must fight his way through.

Beware the grue!