Ah I missed replying to this one.  Ah, what he said!  The game
absolutely rocks and is one of my all time favs if not my fav
altogether!  <smile>  One of the things I also liked about it was that it's
screen was fairly large and very crisp visually to look at.  everything
stood out very well and the colors were just electric and intense!

   the game play can get extremely fast and absolutely over the top off the
hook crazy and it's just a blast and a half!!!

   You'd control which segment of the tube you were shooting down, via a
knob which you could spin very fast, and which had a lot of inertia which
would allow you (in the case of the flat plain level) to go almost
immediately from one side of the plain to the other and strafe all the way
across if you wished.

It was way wild to scoot under the red flippie ones as they crawled across
at you!  <smile>

   Jeez, can ya tell I love this game!  lol!  I have it somewhere on a
Microsoft arcade classics disc along with Pole Position, Centipede,
Asteroids, Missile Command, Battle Zone, and Pac Man I believe...  (all
with the original sounds and such.  Was boat loads o fun!

   Anyway, I'd love to find a copy of Tempest that will work on XP...

           anyway, enough gushing from me!  lol!

Have an awesome day / evening!...

Smiles,

Cara

At 11:25 PM 1/18/2007 -0500, you wrote:

>Hi all,
>This message was over quota, but I cut out the responce and pasted it
>here as I thought it was interesting.
>
>Sylvester Thomas wrote:
>Hi Dean!  Well Tempest is a game by Atari from 1980 and It was the
>first  game to
>use a technology called vector graphics.  It was even in color.  Game
>play is  You
>control a yellow crab-shaped shooter that travels along  the outside rim
>of a 3-dimensional
>tunnel, shooting enemies down the alleys  of the tunnel while
>avoiding any coming down the alleys. The tunnel takes on many different
>forms.
>You are given a vanishing-point perspective from the top, looking down
>into  a geometric
>shape. The shapes vary from a line, to a triangle, to a circle,
>to more complex shapes. Enemies enter from the bottom and work their way
>up  towards
>the top. Collision with an enemy or an enemy's shot is fatal.
>A level is cleared when all the enemies have been destroyed, or the
>only  enemies
>left are the red shooters that have reached the top of the tunnel.  When
>proceeding to the next level, shoot and destroy, or avoid, the green
>spikes  that
>are left over, as a collision with them is fatal.
>The superzapper will destroy all the enemies on screen the first time it
>is  used.
>The second time has a much more limited effect. The superzapper will
>notwork a third
>time. However, the superzapper recharges itself at the start  of each
>new level.
>The final levels of the game are the green, which begin  at
>level 81, and repeat thereafter with no increase in difficulty. It's
>really  Pulse
>Pounding!  HTH!  Sly!

>--

   View my on-line portfolio at:

http://www.onemodelplace.com/CaraQuinn

   "The only things I really think are important, are love, and each
other.  -Then, anything is possible..."

http://home.earthlink.net/~cara-quinn