I may be wrong, and this is only from a blog I read a little ago now but there are various issues with the pie at the time of freading which was at the end of last year beginning of this. The most serious one is that the firmware after a sertain version makes things access wize break. Also since the graphics and sound go through one channel you can only process one sound or image at once not both. The pie does have its own linux distribution and aparently you need to gget ubuntu or something more accessable for it.
you also need an eduino to program it aparently.
It can be used but the processer power is not that great, its primary use is for kids and testing things, fiddling with things but as a primary or gaming box it was not that great at the time I read the digitaldarragh.com blog last year though I am not sure since then.