To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Sunday, January 04, 2015 1:16 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] A rare one from me: an idea for a game based on Castaways and Lone Wolf

Hi Milos,

I get that. I guess my last message wasn't clear as to what I'm
looking for. What I'm looking for is very detailed specifics on game
mechanics of how it works rather than just a generic outline of the
game.

For example, each crewmen on the ship has to have a job or a number of
jobs that falls in his or her jurisdiction. If so what tasks will each
crewmen carry out. If one is an engineer what would he or she do
besides standing around in the engine room drinking cups of coffee
playing poker with the other engineers? If a crewmen happens to be a
weapons tech responsible for loading and arming missiles and torpedoes
in a combat situation what does that crewmen do while not in a combat
situation? How many engineers, communication techs, weapons techs, etc
are required for any specific job?

My point here is that there is lots to think about and all you have
done to this point is give me a very broad outline for a game but have
not talked about the sorts of details one would need in order to code
it. That's the difference between ideas and coding them. There are
mechanics of how it is all suppose to work, good or bad consequences
if this or that happens, and a lot of details are required to make
something that actually works.

To give you an idea take Castaways. A hunter brings back a new kill
every so many ticks. The kind of details therefore a developer would
need to know is how many ticks should elapse between a new kill, how
long it will take for someone to skin it, etc before it can be cooked.

The same sort of concept holds true for your ship game. If there are
engine troubles how long will it take for your crew of engineers to
fix it. What is a reasonable amount of time to elapse between engine
problems and resolution. It is those sorts of details a developer
needs before he or she can begin coding a game.