Hi Michael,
I'll keep that in mind for Alpha 3. I just now got the UpdateSound
function working properly, and I'd kind of hate to meddle with it this
close to the release for Alpha 2, but I will certainly keep it in mind
for a later release.
As you said the best way to emulate the original Monty would be to not
have treasure sounds play if you don't have a torch, but have them play
when you have one. This does have a bit of a downside. The  first torch
you encounter is like room 9 or 10. There is quite a bit of treasure
items you need before that point so I am not sure if silencing the
treasure without a torch is the most practical thing in the long run.