Hello Tom.

currently, I'm being forced to use Ms sam in games. Even though I use the
orphius voice Alan with Hal, for some odd reason I have severe trouble
trying to make any alterations to Sapi, ----- either using the Orphius Sapi
runtime libraries, or trying to install the other Ms voices (though I am
looking into buying Realspeak Daniel soon, which will hopefully work).

The point is that at the moment, I'm not experiencing the best in synth
voice quality when it comes to games.

I find though, i can generally cope with Ms Sam as long as the information
I'm getting is of a fairly general nature, such as reading numbers or other
status information.

I do find however, that a game (or indeed a text), loses a lot of it's
atmospheric content when dialogue or other speeches requiring emotion or
characterization are read in an emotionless  synthetic voice, and obviously
the worse the voice, the worse the problem, though for in game character
speech, even something like Realspeak would be inadequate Imho.

I know that Phil got Sarah voice acted just for this reason.

To give an example, I have no problem with most of the Sapi used in Lone
wolf, ---- even with ms Sam, however in the next version it might improve
the atmosphere of the game considerably if a few phrases, supposedly spoken
by the sub's crew, were actually recorded in Wav. these could include
"torpedo's away!" "she's hit!" (obviously having the crew speak the names of
enemy craft wouldn't be practical), and the various damage reports.

I can appreciate the difficulties in recording many wavs, and also that
would make things more difficult for people with slower internet connections
to download the game, however on the other hand, I do feel that the use of
synth voices for characterization in games can be extremely harmful to the
game' atmosphere, and (where applicable), how believeable those characters
are.

so for Monti, I'd personally go for having your health, score, current level
and other status info spoken buy Sapi, but if ever panama Jo (or whoever
we've got starring in the game at the moment), has to do any talking, have
it recorded by a real live voice actor.

I will admit, as somebody who does fairly major stuff on stage, I am
probably fairly exacting as far as the acting side of gaming goes.

Btw, If the character's in the game are robots, as in Galaxy ranger, I think
a synth voice can actually fit in rather well. It's actually been done in
various films and Tv series I think, Tron, Space above and beyond and war
games for example.

Well that's my thoughts on the subject, though everyone else's might be
different.

All the best