Hi Ron,
As a game developer I am always interested in what styles and genres of
play are most in demand by the gamers at large. I hardly if ever see any
good articles on the matter.
I have however seen comments about gamers wanting to play sighted
quality games, but that level of game play is extremely dificult to
reach on more than one level. The programming is difficult, and as I am
discovering with my Tomb Raider experimental project true 3D
environments are almost impossible to relate to in an audio only format.
How exactly do you signal to the new player look up because the exit out
of the room is in the celing, and you will have to find a way up there,
pull yourself through, and continue on with your adventure. It is tough
to design and describe such an environment.
Then, there is text adventures. Allot of folks like them, I wouldn't
mind writing some, but I am not clear how many folks would pay money for
such adventures. I can create them easy enough, make them multiplatform,
etc but unless there is financial interest in text adventures there
isn't much sense in producing them.