Hi,
I think you may have missed part of the point on the map pausing thing.
The game does not pause, but the sounds still do. I have seen it happen
where the skull sound has stopped moving when you view the map, but
when you unpause, the skull has jumped to the other side of the stereo
field, and you have been injured. Both of these happen when you are
viewing the map, but you don't get any notice until after you resume
normal gameplay.