Hi Bryan,
I couldn't agree with you more. For Will or anyone to play one or two
side-scrollers and say all side-scrollers are boring just only proves
that the person hasn't had much exposure to them. The truth is some
side-scrollers were very difficult and fun in the 1980's.
One of my favorites, Double Dragon, was pretty much your average walk
along beat-m-up, but it was fun. It was especially fun if you were just
in a peed off mood. Grab a bat from one of the thugs and beat him
unconscious. If you were attacked by a bunch of enemies you could whip
them with a series of well placed punches, kicks, and jumps. It was
really fun when you knocked them off of platforms, bridges, or off
cliffs. Enemy falls to his doom. Good bye mother huncher.
In terms of side-scrollers like Castlevania they were unmatched in
replay value. The battle with Dracula was worth every cent of the game.
The way he would die and then come back to life in another  form was
cool. Dracula was also tough to beat because you would hit him with a
weapon, he'd vanish, and reappear somewhere else ready to vamp your rear
end. The fire balls he would hurl your way were pretty nasty.
The other thing I liked about the original Castlevania is there were all
kinds of different monsters from skeletons, knights, dragons, mummies,
etc. Each gave their own unique combat style and baddy toughness to the
game. I hated taking on the mummies just because they wouldn't die with
just any weapon. You needed holy water to get rid of them. If you used a
leather whip or a throwing dagger you were dead meat. When you were
attacked by 3 to 5 of the mummies at once you were toast.Although, I do
remember there was this one area you could jump onto above the mummies,
they couldn't climb up after you, and if you had the holy water you
could dump it on them, and say by by to the creeps.