I don't think side scrollers are boring at all. What I'm trying to do
in SDM is put a side-scroller, not really easy, and when your done
with that, a mini 3D hunt to find the boss.... I definitely agree
there aren't enough developers to provide every type of game on the
market. That's why I constantly encourage people to start programming,
even if it's just Print statements in JustBasic. Randomize it, use
some Input commands, you got a small interactive fiction. Add some
sounds, it's a bit more interesting. I was taking a look at my old
idea/rsg notes from some time ago, looking at the complex ideas I had
in mind. Is anyone still up for the Sims?  It's technically a 3D
Game/Strategy. (In Air, On Ground, Forward, Backwords, Left, Right)
(They give a list of things for you to do.)

-Ryan