I think we need to look at this in prospective, we don't have programming teams as such, big companies and things. Heck we don't even have the tech. No big multiplayer servers, no major companies or networks. We have 1 or 2 big gaming foundations, including several universitities. Several 1 man bands, and a few things with directx. Due to dx changing to xna we may not even have that for much longer. Sure I'd like a 3 d game over a shitty side scroler but we are lagging behind. Lets see. A couple are on python, some are on autoit. most of the devs out here are still using vb6. Some use dotnet c# and vb, one or so use java. We don't have oodles of bandwidth either. I always hope it will get better. But heck we are only operating off home computers really. Its not like we can aford anything flash well at least most of us can't. A few can though. This is beside the point. Will there be 3d games. Oh yeah there will be. How long will we have to have crappy games? probably for a bit. Oh we must remember that there will be people including me that have not played the old crappy games. So We have to start from the low end. I want to know how crappy the games are that were before I advance otherwise there is no point. We try to stay modern without going back to the past. I'd still like old games with the origional sounds, etc. There are just not enough of us to go round. I'm not saying slack off by any means I am just saying that for now we have what we have. If the community grows up to fast it will fall on its face and well I don't want that to happen. So are we ready for more advanced games? As has been shown on here some of us are not. And thats fine. I think there should be more hybrid style games. With old and new things. sdm has 3 themes. And whilst thats real hard to make it means that we will have to battle our way to more interesting things. A trophy system would also be good. One of the sighted games my friends play is myst, you click icons is what I am described and do things. Not sure how it would work on the blind games but there are vary few point and click games. Not sure if thats possible. I'd like another hybrid like teraformas. I'd also like more sighted people to get on board, but accept that may take a while. At 05:09 p.m. 23/03/2008, you wrote: >but that's what is annoying. why are we making these dull side >scrollers, they old crap technology no randomness, no interactions >jsut walk forward and backwards, that's why i completed super laim in >an hour > >On 22 Mar 2008, at 17:14, Thomas Ward wrote: > >> Hi Charles, >> Well, part of the problem here in the blind audio games market is >> there >> isn't enough developers to provide for every single platform and genre >> of game imaginable. For some people they are into retro remakes of old >> Atari and Nintendo games. Others are into remakes of modern FPS and >> RPG >> games they have heard about or tried playing for XBox, Play Station, >> and >> so on. As a result a game developer may wind up specializing in one >> style or another. >> I have seen a number of posts saying side-scrollers are boring. I >> don't >> believe it is the side-scroller format itself that is boring, but the >> game itself. I personally find SL sort of boring, but that is just >> because the game doesn't apeal to me. I can name several side- >> scrollers >> I really loved because they were challenging like Megaman, Double >> Dragon, and Castlevania. >> However, in recent years like my sighted peers I too have been drawn >> to >> the more modern full 3D thing. Games like Tomb Raider, Jedi Knight, >> Doom >> III, and so on have a lot more to offer in terms of game play and >> realism. >> For example, one game I play a lot, or try to, Tomb Raider Angel of >> Darkness is like playing a part in a movie. There are lots of full >> motion vidios, cut scenes, between the levels were characters interact >> and set up the plot for the level you are about to play. >> For example, the first two cut scenes in Angel of Darkness sets up the >> plot for the game where the monstroms murder Von Croy and then frame >> Lara Croft for the murder. It then shifts to Lara's escape from Von >> Croy's apartment, and ends with her standing in a back alley of Paris. >> Open level 1 where you, as Lara, must escape from the police, and get >> into a near by apartment building. >> Unless you have played these newer 3D style games complete with full >> motion vidio etc you will never know how much game technology has >> changed since the 1982 game of Pitfall or the 1984 game of Montezuma's >> Revenge. Personally, new games blow them away in every sense of the >> word >> imaginable. >> >> >> Charles Wrote: >>> As to why some people want to move ahead to the 3D games and some >>> people >>> want side scrollers, the answer is very simple. Let me ask you, do >>> you want >>> only 1 type of game?, or would you be willing to have different >>> types of >>> games on your PC. >>> >> >> >> --- >> Gamers mailing list __ [email protected] >> If you want to leave the list, send E-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] >> . >> You can make changes or update your subscription via the web, at >> http://audyssey.org/mailman/listinfo/gamers_audyssey.org. >> All messages are archived and can be searched and read at >> http://www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED] >> If you have any questions or concerns regarding the management of >> the list, >> please send E-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] > > >--- >Gamers mailing list __ [email protected] >If you want to leave the list, send E-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] >You can make changes or update your subscription via the web, at >http://audyssey.org/mailman/listinfo/gamers_audyssey.org. >All messages are archived and can be searched and read at >http://www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED] >If you have any questions or concerns regarding the management of the list, >please send E-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
--- Gamers mailing list __ [email protected] If you want to leave the list, send E-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] You can make changes or update your subscription via the web, at http://audyssey.org/mailman/listinfo/gamers_audyssey.org. All messages are archived and can be searched and read at http://www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED] If you have any questions or concerns regarding the management of the list, please send E-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
