I'd like to comment on this subject. Back in 99 I bought a program called
Otsjuke which is a broadcasting program. I still use it today when I'm on
the air on Saturday evenings here in the US. They have a machine specific
licensing design. You install the program and then you send your machine
license to their server and it validates it and sends the code back to you.
Well as it turned out people cracked the code even though ots labs thought
they had a fail safe method. This is $500 worth of technology and it goes
to show if someone wants something bad enough they will find any means to
get it. It's unfortunate that more people aren't honest.

On 8/1/2008 at 8:24 AM Thomas Ward wrote:

>Hi Damien,
>It really depends on what level of security you feel comfortable with.
>As for myself I am going to stick with a user name and product key, it
>is a week security system, but you are giving paid users freedom to do
>what they want with the product.
>As far as the best method I think a web based registration is best. It
>allows them to reinstall their OS many times, is not platform specific,
>and your web server handles all the product activations from a remote
>location that the average smo can't access. Since most audio games are
>downloaded anyway it is pretty safe to say the majority of your
>customers has internet based access.
>
>Damien Sadler wrote:
>> Hi Guys,
>> This reminds me. I would like your opinions on how you are willing to
>> register a game. When I say register, I don't even just mean registering
in
>> the normal way, I mean any way of confirming that you have paid or
whatever.
>> There are a bunch of ways that I could do it. I could just ask for a
>> username and key, or Product ID and key, or have a server password, or
we
>> can go the online registration method. I could ask the user to log into
an
>> account, where they can change their password, etc.
>> It doesn't have to be what I've listed, I'd love new ideas from those of
you
>> that don't want any of these systems.
>> Thanks.
>> Regards,