From: "Michael Feir" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Saturday, September 27, 2008 9:19 AM
Subject: [Audyssey] an accessible board game

Hello everyone. I believe I've stumbled across something very interesting
here. It's an unofficial free version of a popular fantasy adventure board
game called Talisman. There's no single player mode so you'd need to have
two or more people present at the same computer to derrive the full benefit
from this. I've just begun to try this out playing two characters myself and
the results have been good so far. I found the link at the bottom of a
Wikipedia article on the original board game. It's a zip file and
 you have to download directly from the link as the site itself says it's
under construction. Use the "save target as" command if you can in order to
save the zip file rather than open it. The game doesn't install anything.
You just extract the files into their own folder and run talisman.exe.
There's also a file talisman rulebook.exe which provides a basic manual for
the game. I find this easier to use once you go into the "view" menu and get
rid of the tree view. The game is quite simple to play and you u
se the cursor keys or numbers to select your options. When you are selecting
a space to move to on the board, the cursor keys navigate you around. Hit
the space bar or enter key and you will be told what location you've
selected and asked whether you're certain you want to go there. It's a bit
clumsy and slower but it works. The game doesn't rely on you hiding anything
from your opponents so there are no worries on that score.

I've had best results when I've had my Jaws set to echo all. You could also
use the review cursor. When you run talisman.exe, you have to hit the space
bar or enter key at least once before the first readable screen appears. I
presume there are graphics first.

While a single player option would have been nifty, I look forward to trying
this game out with family and friends. Even playing one or more characters
on one's own and seeing whether any of them can make it to the centre and
claim the crown of command can be entertaining. I'd be interested to hear
about how others do with this game particularly if you can get one or more
other people to play with you. The link to this game is:

www.asbouniverse.com/talisman.zip

Michael Feir
Author of Personal Power:
How Accessible Computers Can Enhance Personal Life For Blind People
2006-2008
www.blind-planet.com/content/personal-power

A Life of Word and Sound
2003-2007
http://www.blind-planet.com/content/life-word-and-sound

Creator and former editor of Audyssey Magazine
1996-2004
Check out my blog at:
www.michaelfeir.blogspot.com

[EMAIL PROTECTED]