Hi Jason,
Yeah, all of the major consoles charge huge royalties in order to create games for their platforms. While the technology exists to make say XBox 360 games you still need to pay royalties and major licensing fees to do so. I once checked into making games for the PS 3, and even though the new Playstation core is Linux Sony has so heavily modified it that it doesn't use many of the open source technologies that I have come to know in developing software for my Linux desktop here at home. It requires a specific development kit and it costs thousands of bucks to get the rights to use their sdk. If that wasn't enough to mmmake it unlikely the fact is the games have to be reviewed and approved by Sony, Microsoft, etc brfore you can even sell it. Bottom line it is not for the small time developers. It is for major corperations with millions of bucks behind them.