Hi lelia,
There are several different formats for games ranging from roll
playing, first person, side-scroller, etc. In short what side-scroller
means is the player starts at the far left-hand side of the screen and
the object is to run, walk, climb, swim, etc until you reach the
right-hand side of the screen thus ending that level.
Unlike First Person type games that tend to be 3D in nature
side-scrollers are 2D games that give you basic directions of
movement. You can move left and right and some also will let you climb
up or down on stairs, ropes, vines, trees, whatever. However, the
basic objective of a side-scroller is to jump over opsticals, kill
enemies that get in your way, and make it to the right side of the
screen thus ending the level.
Smile.