Hi,
Yeah, one thing I didn't mention earlier is that the distance/direction command or commands would be only for the currently selected target. I am using a targeting system similar to GMA Tank Commander. You would use the n key to cycle through the available targets in firing range, and use the distance/direction commands to find out where the target is in relation to you. This seams to me the most accessible way to do it in a full 3d environment. Obviously, I will have a targeting beep to help line things up, but I figure some players might need some frequent verbal feedback as well.