  From: Thomas Ward
  To: Gamers Discussion list
  Sent: Saturday, April 25, 2009 11:20 AM
  Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Help with a few things.

  Hi Aaron,
  Ummm...no. The Apple II series of computers were made in the early
  1980's long before such concepts as talking software synthesizers and
  screen readers existed for that matter. Quite frankly the hardware
  couldn't have supported them because the early Apple II models shipped
  with a wopping 1 MHZ processor and 64 KB of ram which was later upgraded
  to 128 KB of ram. So obviously a screen reader with a software synth,
  assuming you could even create one on those hardware specifications,
  would have completely used up all the system resources to run. So what
  we had for accessibility back in those days was an additional board, an
  Echo Vox, you iinserted into the machine that was able to speak what
  ever was presented on screen, and not very well at that.
  To give you an idea of what computers were like 25 or 26 years ago we
  need to look at how different things were back then. In terms of my
  lifetime it doesn't seam all that long, but in the life time of
  computers, as we now know them, it was an eternity ago. Especially,
  since most computer users today can't even remember a time when
  Microsoft didn't exist, but the Microsoft software empire was created
  and built up from the ground with in the last 30 years. Well within the
  life time of several people including me.

  1983

  Apple Computers were the leading PC manufacturer world wide. While IBM
  held the business market Apple became popular because of their
  affordable desktop computer systems for schools, homes, and for other
  non-business uses. The Apple II E was the most powerful PC on the market
  sporting a 1 MHZ processor and 64 to 128 KB of ram, and could be
  upgraded for more memory intensive applications.
  IBm was the world leader in business machines mainly producing large
  business computer systems such as network servers and mainframes. The
  leading business operating system  was Unix.
  Microsoft who? Yes, as hard as it is to imagine today Microsoft was an
  unknown software company that set up in Bill Gates garage and who were
  still trying to make it to the big time. Microsoft only managed to get
  there by purchasing a PC operating system called QDOS from a private
  software developer who was trying unsuccessfully to get IBM and other
  mainstream companies to purchase it. Bill Gates gambled, purchased the
  writes to QDOS,  and as it turns out it was the right business decision
  at the right time.
  It so happens IBM had been breaking into the PC market too, and Unix
  required to many system resources to run on their PC lines. So they put
  out the call to software companies looking for an OS that would run on
  their systems. In steps Bill Gates and Microsoft with PC Dos 1.0 in
  hand. IBM purchases PC Dos, licensing it from Microsoft, and suddenly
  Microsoft is rolling in money.
  What happened next was again the stuff of legend. Other companies such
  as HP, NEC, Packard Bell, etc came along and wanted to run Dos on their
  systems too. However, do to some licensing terms Microsoft couldn't give
  them PC Dos so Bill Gates pulled a fast one on IBM. He took PC Dos
  modified it here and there, added this, removed that, and released MS
  Dos 1.0. Bingo now the market was flooded with PC computers running
  Microsoft Dos, and Microsoft quickly went from a nobody to a household
  name.
  And that, boys and girls, is todays history lesson. Grin.

  Valiant8086 wrote:
  > Hi.
  > How about SAM? Isn't SAM just a software speech synthesizer you could
install on those? I guess there's software somewhere to read the console or
what ever you need to read right?

  Virus Database (VPS): 090425-0, 04/25/2009
  Tested on: 4/26/2009 5:22:24 PM