Hi Geremy,
Yeah, that's what training mode is for. I disabled it in Mysteries of the Ancients because of the arcade mode aspect of the game, but if I used strictly standard mode I would also allow players to use the engine's built in training mode with it. That way you could learn basic navigation, learn how to target, etc without being attacked by enemy creatures. Though, some traps like falling into a fire, lava pit, whatever would still be dangerous.
Smile.